Frequently Asked Questions

For further information related to notarial services please select your language.

English     |     French     |     Spanish     |     Italian


Q1. Can a Justice of the Peace perform the functions of a notary public?
A1. No. The training and experience of a notary public is that of a senior lawyer, capable of giving opinions on matters of law. Justices of the Peace cannot do this.

Q2 Can anyone become a notary?
A2. No. In Victoria, only experienced lawyers, who have also passed a post-graduate course of study are eligible for appointment as notaries.

Q3. Why do I have to see a notary as well as going to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to get my document ready to send overseas?
A3. Most countries follow the procedures set out in the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents (often called the HagueApostille Convention. The steps are:

  1. Sign and complete the document in the presence of a notary.
  2. Present the document to the Department of Foreign Affairs &Trade to get an apostille, and pay the fee, presently $60 for single sheet.
  3. Send the finished document to the destination country.

Q4. What is an apostille?
A4. ‘Apostille’ is French for a ‘footnote’. France co-sponsored the Hague Apostille Convention (see Q3 above), thus its terminology was adopted.

An apostille is affixed by the relevant authority in a country which has acceded to that convention, either by a rubber stamp, verified by an authorised person and sealed with an official seal, or by attaching a separate certificate.

An apostille certifies that the notary or government authority which issued the document is indeed authorised to do so. It does not bear any relation to the content of the document, and does not of itself confer any validity on it.

Q5. Do I have to pay fees to a notary for the notarial services?
A5. Yes. Notaries are highly trained professional lawyers, and they are entitled to charge fees for their professional time spent.

Typical services provided by notaries include:

  1. Examining, or perusing, the documents presented to ensure that they are for a purpose permitted by law.
  2. Examining documents presented by the person seeking the notarial services (often called ‘the appearer’) to prove the appearer’s identity and personal particulars.
  3. Witnessing the execution of documents, either alone or together with other witnesses.
  4. Preparing notarial certificates of various kinds, such as certificates of execution of documents and certificates as to Australian law.
  5. Signing certificates and documents and affixing the notary’s seal of office.
  6. Binding together collated groups of documents in a permanent way that will discourage interference with the collation, or forgery.
  7. Providing notarial certificates of matters of law for production to foreign courts, tribunals and governments.
  8. Visiting persons on whom foreign bills of exchange have been drawn, presenting them to seek payment, and protesting those bills.
  9. Attending upon ships’ masters and other ships’ officers to take protests as to events in the course of the ships’ voyages.

Q6. How much should I have to pay a notary?
A6. The Society of Notaries of Victoria Inc. has published a scale of Notaries’ fees by way of benchmark information for its members and the public. All Notaries are free to set their own fees.

A copy of the scale of fees prepared by the Council of The Society may be accessed through this site.

Q7. Are there any documents which I do not have to take to a notary before I send them overseas?
A7. Yes. Official documents such as birth, death and marriage certificates, issued by the appropriate government department, can be authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade directly, without a notarial certificate, for many countries.

In order to be sure of this, it is wise to verify the requirements of the destination country first, especially if the country is not a party to the Hague Apostille Convention. In case of doubt, you need to contact either the country’s nearest consulate or its embassy in Canberra.

Notaries often can assist in answering these questions.

Q8. What is the notary’s role
A8. The notary is a public official (as defined in the Hague Apostille Convention), whose intervention in the document or other activity is required by the law of the destination country.

Most countries of the world are not Common Law countries. The major Common Law countries are Australia, United Kingdom, New Zealand, United States of America, parts of Canada, India, South Africa and some former colonies of those countries, such as the Philippines

Almost all of the rest of the world has either a Communist system, a post-Communist system or, much more importantly, a Civil Law System. In Civil Law Systems, which exist in most of Europe and the whole of South America, the intervention of a notary is essential to many transactions, including land registration, company incorporation, administration of deceased estates and making certain types of wills. For this reason, documents required in those countries and which touch on any of the areas of notarial responsibility, must also involve a notary here.

Q9. How do I choose a notary?
A9. There is a link on the home page of this site to a list of practising notaries. They are listed by name and address and also contain details of foreign languages and law with which many notaries are familiar.

Q10. What can I do if I am dissatisfied with a notary’s services
A10. You should refer the matter to the Council of the Society of Notaries of Victoria Incorporated, for investigation

Q11. Do I have to go to the same notary each time I need notarial services?
A11. No, any notary can attend to essential notarial services. However only those who represent that they speak foreign languages or know of foreign law may be able to help you in cases where these skills are needed.

Q12. Do I have to complete foreign documents in the foreign language?
A12. Notarial certificates in English will be adequate for the majority of countries.

However for some countries, a translation of the notarial certificate will be required. In those cases, it may be significantly cheaper if the notary has been able to give you his certificate in the foreign language.

Q13. Can a Victorian notary simply sign or witness a document from overseas?
A13. Sometimes, documents are in a form which is ready for completion. Typically, such documents come from English-speaking countries, or members of the former British Commonwealth. They include New Zealand, India, South Africa, Singapore and Malaysia.

However it is common for many other countries to send a draft document which requires extensive redrafting if it is to be complete and acceptable in that country when sent back. This is especially true of Civil Law countries, which include all of Europe and South America, parts of Canada and Louisiana (USA). Often these documents are called ‘minutes’.

Q14. Are notarial requirements always the same for all countries?
A14. No, requirements vary widely, and this may lead to costs also varying significantly from country to country.

Q15. What is an authentication stamp?
A15. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has created a stamp called an authentication stamp for use in connection with countries which have not acceded to the Hague Apostille Convention. It is a low-level certification which is useful for some countries which require governmental reassurance, with whom we have regular transactions, such as China, Chile and the United Arab Emirates. It presently costs $20.

The authentication stamp has no legislative foundation, and has no legal effect, and cannot be substituted for the apostille.

Q16. When do I have to submit documents to the consulate of a country for legalisation?
A16. You never have to submit documents to a country which has acceded to the Hague Apostille Convention. Once you have fulfilled the steps set out in Answer 3 above, the document is ready to be sent to the destination country.

It sometimes takes a while for old practices to disappear. For example, when a country accedes to the convention, many of its nationals may not be aware of the change, and continue to seek consular involvement.

Once a country has acceded to the Convention, its consulates no longer have authority to legalise documents (or to charge fees for doing so).

Back to top


Q1 Est-ce qu’un juge de paix peut remplir les fonctions d’un notaire (notary public)?
R1 Non. La formation et l’expérience d’un notaire sont celles d’un juriste confirmé, capable de formuler des opinions sur des questions de droit. Les juges de paix n’y sont pas habilités.

Q2 Est-ce que tout le monde peut devenir notaire?
R2 Non. Dans l’Etat du Victoria, seuls les juristes expérimentés, qui ont également entrepris avec succés des études universitaires de troisiéme cycle, ont qualité pour être nommés notaires.

Q3 Pourquoi dois-je voir un notaire, en plus d’aller au ministére des Affaires étrangéres et du commerce international, pour préparer mon acte à l’envoi à l’étranger?
R3 La plupart des pays se conforment aux procédures énoncées dans la Convention de La Haye supprimant l’exigence de la légalisation des actes publics étrangers conclue en 1961 (souvent appelée la Convention Apostille de la Haye). La marche à suivre est la suivant:

  1. Signer et exécuter l’acte en présence d’un notaire.
  2. Présenter l’acte au ministére des Affaires étrangéres et du commerce international pour recevoir une apostille et payer la redevance, actuellement 60 dollars par feuille.
  3. Envoyer l’acte achevé au pays de destination.Q4 Qu’est-ce qu’une apostille?
    R4 Une apostille est une annotation. La France ayant parrainé conjointement la Convention Apostille de La Haye (voir Q 3 ci-dessus), la terminologie française a été adoptée.

Une apostille est ajoutée par l’autorité compétente d’un pays qui a adhéré à cette convention, soit au moyen d’un tampon, contrôlé par une personne agréée et scellé avec un sceau officiel, soit par l’annexion d’un certificat séparé.

Une apostille certifie que le notaire ou l’administration officielle qui a délivré l’acte est effectivement autorisé à le faire. Elle est sans rapport avec le contenu de l’acte et ne lui confére, en tant que telle, aucune validité.

Q5 Est-ce que je dois payer le notaire pour ses services?
R5 Oui. Les notaires sont des juristes professionnels hautement qualifiés, et ils sont en droit de percevoir des honoraires pour le temps qu’ils ont passé à assurer les services professionnels pour lesquels ils sont qualifiés.
Exemples de services habituellement assurés par les notaires:

  1. Examiner ou lire attentivement les actes présentés pour vérifier que leur objet est autorisé par la loi.
  2. Examiner les actes présentés par la personne sollicitant des services notariés (souvent appelée le ‘comparant’) pour justifier de l’identité et des informations personnelles du comparant.
  3. Attester l’exécution d’actes, seul ou en présence d’autres témoins.
  4. Etablir des attestations notariées de nature diverse, tels que des attestations d’exécution d’actes ou des attestations en ce qui concerne le droit australien.
  5. Signer des attestations ou des actes et y apposer leur sceau officiel.
  6. Relier des groupes d’actes collationnés de façon permanente qui dissuadera toute interférence avec la collation, ou toute falsification.
  7. Procurer des attestations notariées sur des questions de droit pour présenter à des cours de justice, des tribunaux ou des gouvernements étrangers.
  8. Rendre visite à des personnes à qui ont été émis des lettres de change sur l’étranger, les présenter pour paiement ou les protester.
  9. Se rendre chez les capitaines de navire et autres officiers de navire pour prendre en charge les protêts concernant des événements s’étant produits au cours de voyages en mer.

Q6 Combien devrais-je payer un notaire?
R6 La Société des notaires de l’Etat du Victoria a publié un baréme des honoraires recommandés. Ces honoraires ne sont pas obligatoires, mais sont généralement adoptés. Le baréme est analogue à ceux applicables dans les autres Etats de l’Australie.

Un exemplaire du baréme actuel recommandé est disponible sur ce site.

Q7 Existe-t-il des actes que je ne dois pas soumettre à un notaire avant de les envoyer à l’étranger?
R7 Oui. Les documents officiels, tels que les actes de naissance, de décés ou de mariage, délivrés par les administrations compétentes, peuvent être directement authentifiés par le ministére des Affaires étrangéres et du commerce international, sans qu’il faille d’attestation notariée, et ce pour de nombreux pays.

Pour en être certain, il est prudent de vérifier d’abord les conditions requises par le pays de destination, surtout si le pays n’est pas un signataire de la Convention Apostille de La Haye. En cas de doute, veuillez prendre contact avec le consulat le plus proche du pays concerné ou son ambassade à Canberra.
Bien souvent, les notaires peuvent vous aider à répondre à ces questions.

Q8 Quel est le rôle du notaire?
R8 Le notaire est un officier public (tel que défini par la Convention Apostille de La Haye), dont l’intervention dans le cadre de l’acte ou de toute autre activité est exigée par la loi du pays de destination.

La plupart des pays du monde ne sont pas des pays du common law. Les principaux pays de common law sont l’Australie, le Royaume-Uni, la Nouvelle-Zélande, les Etats-Unis d’Amérique, certaines parties du Canada, l’Inde, l’Afrique du Sud et certaines anciennes colonies de ces pays, telles que les Philippines.

Pratiquement tout le reste du monde a un systéme communiste, un systéme post-communiste ou, et c’est le cas le plus fréquent, un systéme de droit civil. Dans les systémes de droit civil, qui existent dans la plupart de l’Europe et dans toute l’Amérique latine, l’intervention d’un notaire est essentielle à de nombreuses transactions, y compris l’inscription au cadastre, la constitution de sociétés, l’administration de la masse successorale et l’établissement de certains types de testament. Pour cette raison, les actes requis dans ces pays et qui ont trait à des domaines relevant de la responsabilité notariale doivent également faire intervenir un notaire ici.

Q9 Comment choisir un notaire?
R9 Cette page d’accueil contient un lien à une liste de notaires en exercice. Ceux-ci y sont répertoriés par nom et adresse. La liste indique également les langues et lois étrangéres avec lesquelles nombre de ces notaires sont familiers.

Q10 Que puis-je faire si je ne suis pas satisfait des services d’un notaire?
R10 Vous devez porter l’affaire devant le Conseil de la Société des notaires de l’Etat du Victoria pour qu’il entame une investigation.

Q11 Dois-je aller chez le même notaire à chaque fois que j’ai besoin de services notariés ?
R11 Non. Tout notaire peut assurer les services notariés essentiels. Cependant, seuls ceux qui déclarent parler des langues étrangéres ou connaître des lois étrangéres pourront vous aider dans les cas où ces compétences s’avérent nécessaires.

Q12 Est-ce qu’il faut que je remplisse des actes étrangers dans la langue du pays concerné ?
R12 Les attestations notariées en anglais s’avéreront adéquates pour la majorité des pays.
Toutefois, pour certains pays, une traduction de l’attestation notariée sera exigée. Dans ces cas-là, cela vous coûtera beaucoup moins si le notaire a pu vous donner son attestation dans la langue du pays concerné.

Q13 Est-ce qu’un notaire du Victoria peut tout simplement signer ou authentifier un acte provenant de l’étranger ?
R13: Il arrive parfois que des actes se présentent sous une forme qui est prête à l’exécution. Généralement, ces actes proviennent de pays anglophones ou de membres de l’ancien Commonwealth britannique. Ils comprennent la Nouvelle-Zélande, l’Inde, l’Afrique du Sud, Singapour et la Malaisie.

Cependant, il arrive souvent qu’un pays envoie un projet d’acte nécessitant une révision importante pour qu’il soit complet et acceptable dans ce pays lorsqu’il y est renvoyé. Cela est particuliérement vrai pour les pays de droit civil, qui comprennent toute l’Europe et l’Amérique du Sud, des parties du Canada et l’Etat de la Louisiane (Etats-Unis). Ces actes sont souvent appelés ‘minutes’.

Q14 Est-ce que les dispositions notariales sont toujours les mêmes pour tous les pays ?
R14 Non. Elles différent considérablement, et cela peut conduire à de grandes différences de coût d’un pays à l’autre.

Q15 Qu’est-ce qu’un timbre d’authentification ?
R15 Le ministére des Affaires étrangére et du commerce international a créé un timbre appelé timbre d’authentification pour utiliser avec les pays qui n’ont pas adhéré à la Convention Apostille de La Haye. Il s’agit d’une certification de faible niveau qui s’avére utile dans le cas de certains pays exigeant une garantie gouvernementale et avec lesquels nous avons réguliérement affaire, tels que la Chine, le Chili et les Emirats arabes unis. Son coût est actuellement de 20 dollars.

Le timbre d’authentification n’a aucun fondement législatif, n’a aucun effet juridique et ne peut se substituer à l’apostille.

Q16 Quand dois-je soumettre mes actes au consulat d’un pays pour les faire légaliser ?
R16 Vous n’avez jamais à soumettre des actes à un pays qui a adhéré à la Convention Apostille de La Haye. Aprés vous être conformé à la marche à suivre énoncée à la Réponse 3 ci-dessus, vous n’avez plus qu’à envoyer l’acte dans le pays de destination.

Il faut parfois du temps pour que les vieilles habitudes disparaissent. Par exemple, lorsqu’un pays adhére à la Convention, il arrive que beaucoup de ses ressortissants ne soient pas conscients du changement et continuent de solliciter l’intervention de consulat.

Une fois qu’un pays a adhéré à la Convention, ses consulats ne sont plus habilités à légaliser des actes (ni à faire payer ce service).

Back to top


P1. ¿ Es que un juez de paz puede actuar en funciones notariales?
R1. No. El entrenamiento y la experiencia de un notario público es él de un abogado de experiencia, y capaz de dar opiniones sobre asuntos legales. Jueces de Paz no pueden hacer eso.

P2. ¿ Cualquier persona puede ser notario?
R2. No. En Victoria, solo abogados con experiencia, que han cumplido un curso de estudios posgraduado son elegibles para ser notarios.

P3. ¿ Porqué tengo que consultar a un notario además de visitar el Departamento de Asuntos Exteriores y Comercio para preparar mi documento para mandarlo en ultramar?
R3. Muchos países siguen los procedimientos contenidos en la Convención de la Haya de 1961 Aboliendo el Requerimiento de Legalización para Documentos Públicos Extranjeros (frecuentemente llamado la

Convención de Apostillas de la Haya. Los pasos son:

  1. Firmar y completar el documento delante de un notario.
  2. Presentar el documento al Departamento de Asuntos Exteriores y Comercio para obtener la apostilla, pagando los derechos ($60 ahora para una hoja).
  3. Mandar el documento completo al país destinatario.

P4. ¿ Qué es una apostilla?
R4. La palabra en la Convención es ‘apostille’, palabra francesa para ‘nota a pie de página’. Existe porque la Francia fue co-sponsor de la Convención de Apostillas de la Haya (véase la pregunta 3 arriba), y así esta terminología fue adoptada.

Una apostilla está añadida por la autoridad pertinente en un país que ha accedido a la Convención, o por estampilla de goma, averiguado por una persona autorizada, y sellado con el sello oficial, o mediante otra hoja anexada.

Una apostilla certifica que el notario o entidad gubernamental que expidió el documento tiene la autoridad para expedirlo. No tiene nada que ver con el contenido del documento, y no confiere en el documento ninguna validez.

P5. ¿ Tengo que pagar honorarios al notario por sus servicios?
R5. Sí. Notarios son abogados altamente calcificados, y tienen el derecho de cobrar honorarios por su tiempo profesional.

Servicios notariales típicos incluyen:

  1. Leyendo cuidadosamente los documentos presentados para averiguar que son para fines permitidos por la ley.
  2. Leyendo los documentos presentados por la persona que busca servicios notariales (muchas veces denominado ‘el compareciente’) para probar la identidad del compareciente y sus datos personales.
  3. Atestiguando la ejecución de documentos, solo o con otros testigos.
  4. Preparando certificados notariales de tipos diversos, por ejemplo certificados de ejecución de documentos y certificados sobre la ley australiana.
  5. Firmando certificados y documentos y añadiendo el sello de su oficio de notario.
  6. Atando grupos de documentos de una manera permanente para rechazar intromisión en el grupo o falsificación.
  7. Proporcionando certificados sobre asuntos legales para ser producido en tribunales, o delante de gobiernos, extranjeros.
  8. Visitando personas que han emitido letras de cambio, presentándolas para ser pagado y protestándolas.
  9. Aceptar comparecencias de capitanes y otros oficiales de barcos sobre los acontecimientos durante sus viajes, y sus protestas.

P6. ¿ Cuánto debo pagar a un notario?
R6. La Sociedad de Notarios de Victoria Incorporada ha publicado una escala recomendada de honorarios. Los honorarios no son compulsorios, pero han sido adoptados en general. La escala es similar a las escalas que aplican en los otros Estados de Australia.

Una copia de la escala es disponible en este sitio.

En general, los servicios proporcionados en idiomas extranjeros son más caro.

P7. ¿ Hay documentos para los cuáles no necesito notario antes de mandarlos al extranjero?
R7. Sí. Documentos oficiales, por ejemplo partidas de nacimiento, defunción y matrimonio, expedidos por el departamento apropiado del gobierno, pueden ser averiguados directamente por el Departamento de Asuntos Exteriores y Comercio, sin certificado notarial, para muchos países.

Para averiguar que se puede hacer eso, es aconsejable comprobar los requisitos del país destinatario primero, especialmente si el país no ha accedido a la Convención de Apostillas de la Haya . Si tiene dudas, hay que contactar el consulado más cercano del país, o su embajada en Canberra (si hay).

P8. ¿ Qué es la función de los notarios?
R8. Los notarios son oficiales (según la definición en la Convención de Apostillas de la Haya, la intervención de quienes en un documento u otro acto notarial es exigido por la ley del país destinatario.

La mayoría de los países del mundo no son de la cultura de la Ley Común. Los países principales de la Ley Común son Australia, Inglaterra, el País de Gales, Irlanda, Nueva Zelanda, los Estado Unidos de América, India, Sudáfrica, y varios excolonias de estos países, por ejemplo las Filipinas.

Casi todo lo demás del mundo tiene un sistema comunista, post-comunista o, mucho más importante, un sistema de Ley Civil. En los sistemas de la Ley Civil, que existen en la mayoría de Europa, y toda Sudamérica, la intervención del notario es imprescindible en muchas transacciones, inclusive los de registro de terrenos, la incorporación de compañías, tramitando sucesiones y haciendo testamentos de varios tipos. Por eso, los documentos exigidos para tales fines en estos países deberán ser tramitado delante de un notario aquí.

P9. ¿ Cómo puedo escoger un notario?
R9. En la página deletreado ‘home page’ en este sitio, hay un enlace a una lista actual de notarios en Victoria. La lista contiene sus nombres y direcciones y menciona los idiomas en los cuáles pueden comunicar o las leyes extranjeras que conocen.

P10. ¿ Qué hago si soy descontento con los servicios de un notario?
R10. Vd debe referir su queja al Consejo de la Sociedad de Notarios de Victoria Incorporada, para ser investigada.

P11. ¿ Es que debo siempre consultar al mismo notario en caso de necesidad?
R11. No, cualquier notario puede proporcionarle servicios notariales. Pero solo los que dicen que hablan idiomas extranjeros o que tienen conocimiento de leyes extranjeras serán capaces de proporcionarles estos servicios.

P12. ¿ Es necesario completar documentos en el idioma extranjero?
R12. Certificados notariales en inglés serán adecuados para la mayoría de los países.

Pero para varios países, una traducción del certificado notarial será necesario. En estos casos, puede ser mucho más barato si el notario ha podido darle el certificado en el idioma extranjero.

Los documentos en forma pública deben ser en el idioma destinatario.

P13. ¿ Un notario victoriano puede simplemente firmar o atestiguar un documento extranjero?
R13. De vez en cuando, los documentos llegando del extranjero son ya listos para ser completado. Típicamente, éstos vienen de los países anglohablantes, o de miembros de la antigua Comunidad Británica de Naciones. Incluyen Nueva Zelanda, India, Sudáfrica y Malaisia.

Sin embargo, los notarios en muchos otros países frecuentemente mandan borradores de documentos, que necesitan ser más o menos redactados de nuevo para ser completos y aceptables en el otro país. Esto es muy común en los países de la Ley Civil, que incluyen toda Europa y Sudamérica, unas partes de Canadá y Louisiana (de los EUA). Muchas veces, estos borradores son denominados ‘minutas’.

P14. ¿ Los requisitos notariales son lo mismo para todos países?
R14. No, los requisitos varían mucho, y eso puede resultar en honorarios que varían considerablemente de un país a otro.

P15. ¿ Qué es una estampilla de autentificación (authentication stamp)?
R15. El Departamento de Asuntos Exteriores y Comercio ha creado una estampilla que se llama un ‘authentication stamp’ para ser utilizado en conexión con unos países que no han accedido a la Convención de Apostillas de la Haya. Es una forma de certificado de bajo nivel que es útil para dar cierta tranquilidad, por medio de algún tipo de certificado gubernamental, a unos países con quienes tenemos relaciones importantes, como China, Chile, y los Emiratos Unidos árabes. Esta estampilla cuesta $20.

La estampilla de autenticación no tiene ni fundación legislativa ni efecto legal, y no puede ser sustituido para la apostilla.

P16. ¿ Cuándo debo entregar documentos al consulado de un país para ser legalizado?
R16. Nunca debe entregar documentos a un consulado o embajada si el país ha accedido a la Convención de Apostillas de la Haya. Una vez completadas las etapas en respuesta 3 arriba, el documento es listo para ser mandado al país destinatario.

Back to top


D1. Puo’ un Giudice di Pace fare le funzioni del Notaio Pubblico?
R1. No. La formazione professionale e l’esperienza di un Notaio e’ quella di un esperto avvocato, capace di dare opinioni su questioni legali. I Giudici di Pace non sono in grado di dare tali opinioni.

D2. Puo’ una persona chiunque diventare Notaio?
R2. No. In Victoria, solo avvocati esperti che hanno superato un corso di studi per una seconda laurea hanno i requisiti per la nomina di notai.

D3. Perche’ devo visitare un Notaio e poi andare al Dipartamento degli Affari Esteri e Commercio per validare i documenti da inviare all’estero?
R3. La maggior parte dei paesi seguono la procedura stabilita nel 1961 della Convenzione dell’Aia che abolisce l’esigenza di legalizzare i documenti pubblici esteri (spesso definita l’Apostille della Convenzione dell’Aia). La procedura e’ la seguente:

  1. Si firma e completa il documento alla presenza di un Notaio.
  2. Si porta il documento al Dipartimento degli Affari Esteri e Commercio per apporre un’Apostille e si paga una tassa, al presente di $60 per un unico foglio.
  3. Si invia il documento completo al Paese di destinazione.

D4. Che cos’e’ l’Apostille?
R4.“Apostille” e’ una parola francese che significa “postilla”. La Francia e’ stato un paese promotore dell’Apostille della Convenzione dell’Aia (vedi D.3 sopra) e pertanto e’ stata adottata la sua terminologia.

L’Apostille viene posta da una determinata autorita’ di un paese che ha aderito alla Convenzione, o con un timbro, verificato da una persona autorizzata e sigillata con un sigillo ufficiale o attaccandovi un certificato separato.

L’Apostille certifica che il Notaio o l’autorita’ Governativa che ha rilasciato il documento e’ effettivamente autorizzato a far cio’. Non ha nessuna di per se relazione al contenuto del documento e da sola, non conferisce una qualsiasi validita’ ad esso.

D5. Si Deve pagare il Notaio per i suoi servizi?
R5. Si. I Notai sono avvocati molto specializzati e sono autorizzati a far pagare una parcella professionale per le loro prestazioni.

I servizi tipici provvedutiti dai Notai includono:

  1. Esaminare, o leggere i documenti presentati per accertare che sono conformi agli scopi ammessi della legge.
  2. Esaminare i documenti presentati della persona che richiede i servizi notarili (spesso chiamato “Il Richiedente”) per conprovare l’identita’ del Richiedente e i suoi particolari personali.
  3. Sottoscrivere documenti da soli o assieme a altri
  4. Preparare certificati notarili di vario tipo, come i certificati di autenticita’ della firma sui documenti e i certificati della legge Australiana.
  5. Porre la firmare su certificati e documenti e ponendovi anche il Sigillo notarile.
  6. Legare e collazionare gruppi di documenti in forma permanente per evitare intromissione con la collazione o possibile falsificazione.
  7. Fornire certificati notarili su questioni legali da produrre nelle corti, i Tribunali e governi esteri.
  8. Visitare le persone alle quali sono state spiccate tratte e combiali estere, richiederne il pagamento e protestare tali tratte e combiali.
  9. Presentarsi ai capitani o altri ufficiali di navi per notare la protesta di avaria causata da eventi accaduti durante il viaggio navale.

D6 Quanto si deve pagare per un servizio notarile?
R6. La Societa’ del Notariato del Victoria incorporata (Society of Notaries of Victoria Inc) ha pubblicato una tabella degli onorari consigliati. Questa tabella non e’ obligatoria ma gli onorari sono generalmente seguiti. Questa tabella e’ simile agli onorari applicati negli altri stati Australiani.

Una copia della tabella degli onorari suggeriti puo’ essere ottenuta su questo sito.

D7. Ci sono documenti che non e’ necessario portare a un Notaio prima di spedirli all’estero?
R7. Si. Documenti ufficiali quali i certificati di nascita, di morte e di matrimonio possono essere autenticati direttamente dal Dipartimento degli Affari Esteri e Commercio e accettati in molti paesi, senza bisogno di un certificato notarile.

Per essere sicuri di cio’, e’ bene verificare prima cosa sia richiesto dai paesi di destinazione, in particolare se un paese non fa parte della Convenzione dell’Aia. In caso di dubbio, si deve contattare o il piu’ vicino Consolato o l’Ambasciata a Canberra di tal paese.

I notai spesso sono in grado di assistere con questo tipo di richieste.

D8. Qual è il ruolo del notaio?
R8. Il Notaio e un pubblico ufficiale (cosi’ e’ definito nella Convenzione dell’apostille dell’Aia) il cui intervento nei documenti o altre attivita’ viene richesto della legge del paese di destinazione.
Nella maggior parte dei paesi non viene praticata la Common Law. I principali paesi della Common Law sono L’Australia, il Regno Unito, La Nuova Zelanda, gli Stati Uniti d’America, parte del Canada’, l’India, il Sud Africa e alcune vecchie cologne di questi paesi come le Filippine.

Quasi tutto il rimanente del mondo ha o un sistema Comunista o post-Comunista o, molto piu’ importantemente, il sistema del diritto civile – nel sistema di diritto civile che esiste nella maggior parte d’Europa e in tutto il Sud America, l’intervento del Notaio e’ esenziale per molte trattazioni, compreso il catastamento dei terreni, costituzione di Societa’, l’amministrazione dei beni dei defunti e la stesura di certi tipi di testamenti. Per queste ragioni, documenti richiesti da questi paesi che fanno parte dell’area di comptenza notarile, deve necessariamente coinvolgere un notai in Australia.

D9. Come si sceglie un Notaio?
R9. C’e’ un link nella pagina di questo sito con una lista dei Notai in esercizio. Sono inclusi per nome e indirizzo con descrizione della lingua e le leggi straniere che molti notai conoscono.

D10. Cosa si puo’ fare se non si e’ soddisfatti del servizio reso da un Notaio?
R10. Si deve riferirlo al Consiglio del Notariato del Victoria, incorporato, per una investigazione.

D11. Devo andare sempre dallo stesso Notaio ogni volta che servono servizi notarili?
R11. No, un qualsiasi notaio puo’ fare i servizi esenziali notarili. Comunque, solo quelli che dichiarano di parlare lingue straniere o conoscono le leggi straniere sono capaci di aiutare quando tali conoscenze sono necessarie.

D12. Si devono completare i documenti stranieri in lingua straniera?
R12. I certificati notarili in inglese sono sufficienti per la maggior parte dei paesi.

D13. Puo’ un Notaio in Victoria semplicemente firmare o testimoniare un documento estero?
R13. Qualche volta i documenti sono gia’ pronti per essere completati. Tipicamente tali documenti vengono da paesi di lingua inglese o paesi del vecchio Commonwealth Brittanico. Questi includono la Nuova Zelanda, l’India, il Sud Africa, Singapore e Malesia. Comunque e’ comune per molti altri paesi inviare una bozza di documento che spesso richiede parecchi cambiamenti per essere completato in forma accettabile nel paese dove viene rispedito. Questo si applica soprattutto con i paesi di Diritto Civile che includono tutta l’Europa e il Sud America, parte del Canada’ e la Luisiana (USA). Spesso questi documenti sono chiamati “minute”.

D14. Sono i requisiti notarili gli stessi in tutti i paesi?
R14. No, i requisiti variano molto e cio’ puo’ comportare anche una variazione significante di costi da paese a paese.

D15. Che cosa e’ un timbro di autenticazione?
R15.Il Dipartimento degli Affari Esteri e Commercio ha fatto un timbro che si chiama timbro di autenticazione da usare per i paesi che non hanno aderito alla Convenzione dell’Apostille dell’Aia. E’ una certificazione di scarso uso, utilizzata in certi paesi che richiedono una conferma governativa con i quali l’Australia ha regolari affari, come la Cina, il Cile e gli Emirati Arabi. Al presente costa $20.

Il Timbro di autenticazione non ha fondazione legislativa, e non ha effetto Legale e non puo’ sostituire l’Apostille.

D16. Quando si devo sottoporre documenti a un Consolato di un paese per la legalizzazione?
R16.Non e’ mai necessario sottoporre documenti ad un paese che faccia parte alla Convenzione dell’apostille dell’Aia. Una volta che si sono completati i passi dichiarati nella precedente risposta 3, il documento e’ pronto per essere spedito nel paese di destinazione.

A volte e’ difficile perdere le vecchie abitudini, ad esempio, quando un paese aderisce alle Convenzione molti suoi cittadini non sono a conoscenza del cambiamento e continuano a cercare l’assistenza Consolare. Quando un paese accede alla Convenzione, i suoi Consolati non hanno piu’ l’autorita’di legalizzare documenti (o far pagare una tassa di legalizzazione).

Back to top